Community Development Society (CDS) was established on 8th of Ashwin 2058 Ashwin by a group of committed, dynamic and energetic youth engaged in the sector of community development and empowerment. With the aspiration of creating social justice and equality by eliminating existing socio- economic disparities, the organization envisions developing a self-reliant, healthy and equitable society.
Initially CDS served the needs of its target community on a voluntary basis. The organization undertook its first externally aided project on BS 2059 with a financial support of Interact Sweden through United Mission to Nepal. Over the period, the organization has worked with dozens of partner organizations. In the two several occasions (BS 2061 and BS 2066), then District Council/District Development Committee rewarded CDS as the best organization for its contribution to the development of Ramechhap district.
Since its establishment, CDS has been working in Ramechhap and its neighboring districts focusing on improvement of livelihood, health and sanitation, environment conservation, education, women empowerment, peace and governance. In order to scale the heights of the organization, CDS recently felt a need of creating a road map and subsequently formulated a five-year strategic plan 2076-2080 by deeply analyzing current issues of economic and political changes at the national and international level along with the internal changes within the CDS.
CDS has drafted this strategic plan to attain the Sustainable Development Goals set by the nation and the entire world. The organization intends to focus its plans and programs on its newly invented slogan, ‘coming decade: a decade of social justice, equality and prosperity’ and thus, has revised its goal, objectives, thematic and geographical working areas in the strategic plan.
I would like to express my special thanks to Swiss Soladarity/Medair Nepal and Bread for the World/Sansthagat Bikas Sanjal for their financial support in developing this strategic plan. Additionally, I would like to thank executive committee members and staffs who actively participated in the strategic planning workshop and provided their valuable inputs. My gratitude to a facilitator of the strategic planning workshop and appreciation to all concerned stakeholders for their suggestions while drafting it. I hope to receive full support of partners, stakeholders, target communities and CDS team in the successful implementation of strategic plan.
- Commercialization of agriculture, develop concept of agricultural forest, skill development and creation of self-employment
- Capacity development, infrastructure development, medicine and medical equipment support, awareness building and advocacy
- Awareness building, financial and physical support, capacity enhancement
- Technical and financial support
- Partnership and coordination with state, province, local government and national and international partners
- Emphasize participation of target beneficiaries and mobilization of stakeholders
- Organizational capacity development
- Equality: No discrimination on the grounds of caste, language, religions, age, position, ethnicity and sex. Acknowledge equal rights and existence of all.
- Target communities at the core of services: Serving to vulnerable communities is the key priority. Readiness to work for the improvement of social, economic, educational status and to address other salient issues in the community
- Empowerment of target communities: Strive to bring target communities in the development mainstreaming. Perseverance for making the communities self-reliant, resilient and leader. Belief in people’s development by their own participation in the development process
- Mutual relation: CDS believes that relationships is an instrument to get to the heart of people. Committed to maintain respectful and good relationships with target communities, funding partners, stakeholders and team members
- Transparency: Respecting the rights of knowing and acquiring information about the organization. Belief that transparency is the foundation of breeding trust. Commitment to cultivate a culture of transparency in the organization
- Democratic approach: Practicing democratic culture in the organization. Respecting others opinions; developing CDS as an inclusive organization guided mainly by systems rather than by the people. Prevalence of democratic culture and practice at all level.
- Organizational identity: Integrity, cost efficiency and dutiful human resource are the features of CDS. Emphasis on equality, humanity, justice and brotherhoods while serving the communities. Establish an identity as the organization giving special priority to vulnerable communities.
- Gender and environment sensitivity: Sensible to gender and environment issues. Commitment to work for gender equity and environment conservation.
- Secularism: Equal respect for all religions. Belief that human welfare is the motive of all religions based in mutual support and religious tolerance regardless of their different religions.
Code of ethics
- Political neutrality
- Discourage smoking and alcohol
- Ban on gambling and drug use
- Disallow polygamy and sexual harassment
- Cost efficiency and maximum utilization of resources
- Wearing culturally appropriate outfits/costumes